About The Essay Contest
The CT COLT Essay Contest is an annual event open to students whose teachers are members of CT COLT. The goals for the Essay Contest are:
- To offer students a voice with regard to world language education and policies, in addition to recognizing excellence in research, documentation, and writing.
- To have an exemplary piece of writing that CT COLT may use for advocacy; to that end, the essay needs to be in English.
Each year, the Essay Contest has a different theme, as well as a series of prompting questions that will help students compose their work. It is to be in either letter or essay format, consisting of no more than two typed, double-spaced pages. Students should incorporate and cite current research in foreign language pedagogy. Writers are also encouraged to include their own viewpoints and personal experience as it pertains to the essay topic.
2020 Essay Contest
The contest materials for this year’s CT COLT Essay Contest are now available. In the document linked below, you will find information concerning:
- The topic: “Proficiency: The Journey Continues”.
- Background information regarding the topic and proficiency.
- Essay requirements and guidelines.
- Essay Contest Rubric
Deadline for submitting essays: Friday, April 3, 2020
Winner notification date: Friday, May 1, 2020
Please contact John R. Rook at email@example.com if you have any questions.
The 2020 CT COLT Essay Contest Committee