The Poetry Contest is an annual event open to students in grades 7 through 12 whose teachers are members of CT COLT. Poetry slates are available in the following languages: Ancient Greek, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin only), ESOL/ELL, French, German, Italian, Latin, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. Additional slates may be available in American Sign Language, Modern Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, and Japanese. Students may enter the Poetry Contest in the following categories in most languages: Middle School, Level 1 (Beginning or FLEX program); Middle School Level 2 (Continuing language), High School Levels 1-6; Heritage Speaker, Middle School; Heritage Speaker High School.
2020 Poetry Recitation Contest is Canceled
It is with great regret that CT COLT must notify its members, judges and participating students that the 2020 Poetry Contest is canceled this year.
This action is in line with the recommendation by Governor Lamont and the Connecticut State Department of Education in an effort to avoid gatherings of large groups people and promote social distancing. Due to uncertainty about how the situation will continue to unfold, it will not be possible to reschedule the contest this school year.
Important Information about Contest Payments and Refunds:
(1) If your district has already sent payment, this will be refunded by CT COLT.
(2) If your district has yet to send payment, please intervene to cancel payment to CT COLT.
(3) CT COLT will refund the registration fees.
(4) For issues concerning refunds, please contact the following committee members: firstname.lastname@example.org
(5) CT COLT will process refunds for contest registrations within the next 2 weeks.
On behalf of the CT COLT Board, we would like to extend our deep gratitude to the teachers and volunteers who have dedicated so much time and energy to this contest. We look forward to our upcoming year and wish everyone good health.