The Kenneth A. Lester Summer Immersion Scholarship for students in grades pre-K through 12th grade.
PURPOSE OF SCHOLARSHIP: To help defray the cost of summer language study in an existing approved summer language experience program. The maximum award amount is $1000, not to exceed the total cost of the language experience.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS: CT students pre-K through 12th grade
IMPORTANT DATES: The application deadline is March 31st. The scholarship winner will be notified by April 30th and money will be distributed (directly to the language program) by May 30th for use in the summer.
JUDGING CRITERIA: A successful applicant will submit a complete application packet which demonstrates academic ability, integrity, character and a sincere interest in summer language study.
FOLLOW UP: The scholarship recipient will agree to submit a brief summary of his/her language experience to be published in the CT COLT newsletter.
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Please include the following material in your online application:
- Application Form, which includes a typed paragraph explaining why you are interested in studying this language, and what special interests you have. (In the case of a young child, the parent may type what the child dictates.)
- Three recommendations from adults unrelated by family such as a classroom teacher, coach, or scout leader. One of them MUST BE from a world language teacher. Email these to firstname.lastname@example.org after completing your online application. Recommendations should be completed using this form.
In 1998, an annual scholarship in the amount of $1,000 was established in memory of Irene B. Stanislawczyk, a beloved colleague and a true friend to the world language profession. An associate professor of Spanish and methodology at Central CT State University, she co-authored texts related to Spanish instruction and Spanish culture. Make a donation to this fund today.
PURPOSE OF THE AWARD: To help defray college expenses for an undergraduate student majoring in a world language and teacher education.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS: A student who has completed a minimum of 15 semester hours of work in the major field (introductory courses do not apply) and acceptance into the teacher education program of an accredited institution in the State of Connecticut. A cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better in the major field is required. Only those who have not previously received this award will be considered.
The deadline for applications is March 31st.
ONLINE NOMINATION FORM:
In your online application, be sure to include:
A letter from the verifying official (e.g. dean, teacher supervisor or department head) that supports your application. Email this to email@example.com after completing your online application.
The CT COLT Future Teachers Honor Society was established in 2015 to recognize excellent candidates preparing to enter the profession of teaching a world language.
Eligibility: Students are nominated by a professor at their university who is a member of CT COLT. The student must have been accepted into the language department and education program at CT colleges and universities offering a teaching degree in world language. Students must be in the process of completing the FLT Certification program - this includes DSAPs, MATs, and undergraduate & graduate students in the FLT Certification program. A minimum GPA 3.0.
Please complete this form for each student you are nominating.
Students must be present in order to be inducted into the honor society and to receive the benefits of the society. Spring candidates will be inducted at the CT COLT fall conference during the awards ceremony. Fall candidates will be inducted at the CCSU spring conference. Inductees must pay student registration fees to attend conference on day of induction or may choose to attend only the induction ceremony. All inducted candidates will receive a CT COLT FTHS pin, certificate, gift, and free membership to CT COLT until graduation, as well as one additional free membership to the first year teacher upon proof of graduation and attainment of teaching position in CT.
Each university chapter (with an appointed professor to oversee the chapter activities) may purchase honor cords to wear upon graduation (not during induction ceremony), supplied by the world language department of the university based on the following eligibility:
- attendance at COLT Fall Conference and/or CCSU Language Teacher conference,
maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- participation in community programs nationally and internationally
- leadership positions in WL clubs & organizations
- advocacy for WL (tutoring other students, representing programs in major expos, degree open houses), and/or attendance at cultural events
The Connecticut Council of Language Teachers is pleased to recognize and reward the excellence and achievement of deserving students at all levels of instruction across the state by offering the CT COLT Student Award for Excellence.
Students, nominated by their teachers,
- will receive a special certificate.
- will have their names published on the CT COLT website.
- will have a special letter of recognition sent to their principal or superintendent.
- In addition, students in Level IV and higher of language study (e.g. High School, Spanish IV) will receive a medal engraved with “For Excellence in Foreign Languages”
- Students must be enrolled in a foreign language class at the elementary, middle school or high school level of instruction.
- A teacher may nominate up to FIVE high achieving students who have achieved at least a 90% average and who demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the language.
- Students must give evidence of positive attitude toward language and cultures (e.g., using the language beyond the classroom, participating in language clubs, etc.).
- Each teacher may nominate no more than FIVE students.
- To offset the costs, the following per pupil fee is assessed. A check must be mailed in as soon as you complete the electronic nomination form.
Nomination Fee: $3.00 per student
Non-CT COLT members: additional $30.00 for the one year required membership.
- Please include a membership form for each teacher for whom membership is being purchased.
- Electronic Nomination Form and fees (checks only) must be received before May 1.
- Certificates and letters will be mailed to the nominating teacher by June 1. Every effort will be made to have materials arrive before awards ceremonies. Please include this information on the nomination form.
PAYMENT / ORDERS
There is a $2.00 fee per certificate that needs to be reprinted if there is inaccurate information. Make all checks payable to "CT COLT." No certificates or medals will be mailed to you until payment has been received. Please send payment and any membership forms to the following address: (to be announced). If there are any questions, please contact (to be announced).
ONLINE NOMINATION FORM
ARCHIVES / LISTS OF PRIOR AWARD WINNERS