Student Awards and Scholarships
The Kenneth A. Lester Summer Immersion Scholarship is for students in grades pre-K through 16.
PURPOSE OF SCHOLARSHIP: To help defray the cost of summer language study in an existing approved summer language experience program. The maximum award amount is $1000, not to exceed the total cost of the language experience.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS: Connecticut students in grades pre-K through 16.
IMPORTANT DATES: The application deadline for 2021 is April 30. The scholarship winner will be notified by within a few weeks and money will be distributed directly to the language program by May 30th for use in the summer.
JUDGING CRITERIA: A successful applicant will submit a complete application packet which demonstrates academic ability, integrity, character, and a sincere interest in summer language study.
FOLLOW UP: The scholarship recipient will agree to submit a brief summary of his/her language experience to be published in the CT COLT newsletter.
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please include the following material in your online application:
- Application form, which includes a typed paragraph explaining why you are interested in studying this language and what special interests you have. In the case of a young child, the parent may type what the child dictates.
- Three letters of recommendation from adults unrelated by family such as a classroom teacher, coach, or scout leader. One of them MUST BE from a World Language teacher. Email these to firstname.lastname@example.org after completing your online application. Recommendations should be completed using this form.
In 1998, an annual scholarship in the amount of $1,000 was established in memory of Irene B. Stanislawczyk, a beloved colleague and a true friend to the World Language profession. An Associate Professor of Spanish and Methodology at Central Connecticut State University, she co-authored texts related to Spanish instruction and Spanish culture.
PURPOSE OF THE AWARD: To help defray college expenses for an undergraduate student majoring in a World Language and teacher education.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS: A student who has completed a minimum of 15 semester hours of work in the major field (introductory courses do not apply) and acceptance into the teacher education program of an accredited institution in the State of Connecticut. A cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better in the major field is required. Only those who have not previously received this award will be considered.
The deadline for applications is April 30.
ONLINE NOMINATION FORM:
In your online application, be sure to include:
A letter from the verifying official (e.g. dean, teacher supervisor or department head) that supports your application. Email this to email@example.com after completing your online application.
The CT COLT Future Teachers Honor Society was established in 2015 to recognize excellent candidates preparing to enter the profession of teaching a World Language. Students are nominated by a professor at their university who is a member of CT COLT.
Eligibility: The student must have been accepted into the language department and education program at a Connecticut college or university offering a teaching degree in World Languages. Students must be in the process of completing the Foreign Language Teacher Certification program - this includes DSAPs, MATs, and undergraduate and graduate students in the Foreign Language Teacher Certification program. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
Please complete this form for each student you are nominating.
Students must be present in order to be inducted into the honor society. Spring candidates will be inducted at the CT COLT fall conference during the awards ceremony. Fall candidates will be inducted at the CCSU spring conference. Inductees must pay student registration fees to attend the conference on the day of induction or may choose to attend only the induction ceremony. All inducted candidates will receive a CT COLT Future Teachers Honor Society pin, certificate, gift, and free membership to CT COLT until graduation, as well as one additional free year of membership upon proof of graduation and attainment of a teaching position in Connecticut
Each university chapter, with an appointed professor to oversee the chapter activities, may purchase honor cords to wear upon graduation, supplied by the World Language department of the university. Eligible students should be nominated based on the following eligibility:
- maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- participation in community programs nationally and internationally
- leadership positions in World Language clubs and organizations
- advocacy for World Language, which may include tutoring other students, representing programs in major expos, degree open houses, and/or attendance at cultural events
2020 - 2021 STUDENT AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE
CT COLT is pleased to recognize and reward the excellence and achievement of deserving students at all levels of instruction across the state by offering the CT COLT Student Award for Excellence. Students, nominated by their teachers:
- will receive a special certificate.
- will have their names published on the CT COLT website.
- will have a special letter of recognition sent to their principal or superintendent.
- students in Level IV and higher of language study (e.g. High School, Spanish IV) will receive an engraved pen that reads, “CT COLT Award for Excellence in Languages.”
- Students must be enrolled in a World Language class at the elementary, middle school or high school level of instruction.
- A teacher may nominate up to FIVE high achieving students who have achieved at least a 90% average and who demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the language.
- Students must give evidence of positive attitude toward language and cultures (e.g., using the language beyond the classroom, participating in language clubs, etc.).
- Each teacher may nominate no more than FIVE students.
- To offset the costs, the following per pupil fee is assessed.
- Nomination Fee: $3.00 per student
- Non-CT COLT members: additional $30.00 for the one year required membership.
- Electronic nomination form and fees (checks only) must be received before May 15.
- Certificates and letters will be mailed to the nominating teacher by June 1. Every effort will be made to have materials arrive before awards ceremonies. Please include this information on the nomination form.
PROCEDURES / UPDATING MEMBERSHIP
In order to nominate students for the CT COLT Student Awards for Excellence, nominating teachers must be active members of CT COLT, so the teacher may need to renew membership or join CT COLT before submitting student names for this award.
- Membership rates, for current members or new members:
- One Year = $30.00
- Two Years = $55.00
- Three Years = $75.00
- Retired Teachers (not teaching full time) = $15.00 (per year)
- Retired Teachers Lifetime Rate (not teaching full time) = $30 (for lifetime membership)
- Undergraduate / graduate students / pre-certified teachers = $15.00 (per year)
Please note that CT COLT accepts PayPal payment or payment by check. Purchase orders are not accepted.
Teachers can update their membership through submitting names for the award. Teachers can also join, renew, or update membership by visiting https://ctcolt.org/about/membership/ Note, if teachers believe they are already a member, but the system does not recognize the email address, try another email address. For questions about membership, please visit https://ctcolt.org/about/membership/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROCEDURES / PAYMENT: Each teacher may nominate no more than FIVE students.
To offset the costs, a nomination fee of $3.00 per pupil is assessed. There is a $2.00 fee, given to CT COLT, per certificate that needs to be reprinted due to inaccurate information submitted on the nomination form.
Electronic nomination form and payment must be received by May 15.
After completing the nomination form found online, teachers will have the option of paying immediately with PayPal or receiving an electronic invoice, via email, that can be completed by mailing a check. If paying by check, make checks payable to “CT COLT.” Please mail checks to:
- Judith Ojeda
- Timothy Edwards Middle School
- 100 Arnold Way
- South Windsor, CT 06074
Certificates and letters will be mailed to the nominating teacher by June 1st. Every effort will be made to have materials arrive before awards ceremonies. Please include this information on the nomination form.
For questions about the award, please email email@example.com.
ARCHIVES / LISTS OF PRIOR AWARD WINNERS
CT COLT Future Teachers Honor Society Inductees
- Jamie Roxas
- Charles Taubl
- Shelby Church
- Kelsey P. Sullivan
- Matthew Gray Taylor
- Jerry Zhu
- Cecilia Maria Dávila
- Aaron Blais
- Emilia Vega Espinoza
- Maria Vega
- Stephen Brownlee
- Sarah Landers
- Julia J. Brignano
- Matti R. Colavolpe
- Sanela Ahmetovic
- Hugo Castaneda
- Cassandra Harris
- Michael Sendra
- Veronique Shay
- Brenda Valle
- Allassandra Cianci
- Karli Golembeski
- D’Lanie Pelletier
- Xena Lin
- Rosemary Green